Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Finally time


 This is the first night we’ve been in NZ when we aren’t at anyone’s home. We’re staying at Shambhala, a backpacker’s hostel. It’s lovely; we have a king size bed with an ocean view, or rather a bay view as it’s Golden Bay we’re looking at, in the NW of South Island, past Abel Tasman National Park. The roads here were windy with 180 degree turns in some parts, just the type of roads Art loves to drive. The countryside is green, hilly, lots of sheep and cattle, and we even saw deer today. There is a big common room and kitchen where you can cook, and there are about 6-8 people around talking. I’m determined to do some writing.

On Feb 2, before traveling to Lower Hutt, where we stayed with a lovely couple, just north of Wellington, we went to downtown Stratford, just after 10am, to see the Glockenspiel chime and to see the Romeo & Juliet performance, where windows/doors opened up and the figures appeared and spoke Shakespeare's line. You’ll see photos eventually.

They have a lovely house with the three separate parts to their only bathroom. Michael does the cooking, as Pauline is still working. Their English type garden in the front is beautiful and nothing seems to be far away from their home. We seem to be going to a market or store almost daily for one thing or another. Today, we went shopping for towels, a measuring spoon, and a folding canvas chair. We’re going on a day-long (6 ½ hours) trip to Farewell Spit tomorrow, and I think we’ll need towels – lots of sand dunes and I think seals.

Our first night with Pauline and Michael, we had a delicious dinner of fish in a tomato–caper sauce, which Pauline cooked since she isn’t working yet due to the school schedule, with fresh veggies and a nice salad. I got the recipe and I can’t wait to make it at home.  For the second night with Servas hosts, I usually cook. However, they insisted on cooking for us again, although I worked with Michael in the kitchen. He cooked a chicken stir-fry and I made the quinoa side dish and salad.

On the 3rd, while in Lower Hutt, we didn’t go into Wellington, as we’ll spend some time there on our return. We took it very easy on our first morning with Pauline and Michael, not leaving their place until just after noon. During our day out, other than the organic market, we explored Lower Hutt & Petone, across the sound from Picton on the South Island. There is a wonderful museum showing the items and the history of the first settlers to the area.
Feb 4th saw us up around 5am, in order to make the 8am ferry across Queen Charlotte Sound to South Island. We had to be there by 7am to get our tickets. The trip across was 3 ½ hours – did I already write this. I’ll try to read what I’ve written before publishing this. In Picton, we had a picnic lunch after having gone to the Edwin Fox Museum, showing a preserved teak ship from the 1700s, which had gone though many changes, from being in a war, transporting settlers, to being used for refrigeration. It was really interesting to see the way it was constructed. Our picnic lunch was cheese and crackers for Art and some veggies and humus for me, as it was getting late and we didn’t want to spend more time eating at a restaurant.

We stayed the next three nights with Cynthia and Graham Brooks in Renwick. They are the “folks” of Allison Lee, a very close friend of our son, Brian’s. Twenty years ago, Allison was an exchange student from Jamaica and lived with Cynthia & Graham for a year. When she found out that we were going to visit NZ, she offered to get in touch with them. She did, then we did, and our visit was arranged. We had such a good time with them; they are lovely, warm, and now newly extended family. Our first dinner with them was a delicious roasted lamb, roasted kumara (sweet potatoes), and steamed vegetables from their garden, with a side salad, also all from their garden. I ate lamb, which I haven’t had for about 2 years. She made me my own mint sauce with stevia. It’s so easy and I had no idea that it was:

Big bunch of fresh mint
Boiled water
Apple cider vinegar
Stevia

Chop the mint and put it in a bowl. Pour boiling water over it to release the essences. Add apple cider vinegar and stevia to taste. Let it sit for about ½ hour and serve. Yummy.

On the 5th, we went to the Omaka Aviation Museum, because Graham said we shouldn’t miss it. I wasn’t enthusiastic but Art goes to bead stores with me, so…  It was great! I especially liked the display of the various uniforms, metals, and memorabilia from WWI. The plane displays were imaginative and really well done. Glad we went.

Then, we went into Blenheim for lunch and to shop for organic produce. Home to the Brooks. Their home is so special. Again, only one bathroom, which was all in one room. She is into quilting and does beautiful work, as well as being a writer, professionally, and also has a greeting card line which she sells locally. They grow most of their own greens, and have an orchard of many different fruits, as well as chickens for their own eggs. Graham is also a writer, creates stained glass pieces, and various other things. Very self-sufficient. Their home is well lived in with many wonderful spaces. I especially loved to do my chi gung in their sun room looking out at the many wild flowers. It’s the room where they have their breakfasts and afternoon tea. For dinner, Cynthia made a delicious salmon in tin foil packets. The night before she had roasted beets, which we also ate for dinner, but I asked if she ever cooked the beet greens. She hadn’t, as she usually gave the greens to the chickens, who loved them. So, for dinner on the sixth, I cooked beet greens and made the salad.

The 6th was busy. We started out at the Quilting Barn. I bought some fabrics that were made here in NZ. I plan on using one for my February bead journal entry. We went to three different vineyards, as this area is noted for their wonderful wines. One of winery owners has a son who started a brewery, Moa beer, so we went there too. Cynthia was suppose to join us but a friend of theirs was very ill and she needed to help out there. When we left, he was doing better, so we have our fingers crossed that all will be well. I cooked dinner that night. I made my lemon chicken, roasted veggies from both their garden and from the market, which included kumara and regular potatoes. Cynthia made the salad. All was great, especially the company.

On the Sunday the 7th, we attended the morning Sunday Farmer’s Market in Blenheim, before taking off on our next leg. On the road to Nelson, I saw a hillside with an image that I drew – that of almost a hand with the hand as a light green, surrounded by dark green. the contrasts of the two greens inspired me and I may use that image in my Feb bead journal piece. We next stopped at the Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve and walked to the beach, which was lovely. Then, we walked across the bridge and down a scenic bush to a suspended bridge. I found rocks I plan on using on my embroidery. Obviously, I’m collecting pieces to pull it all together. I can’t wait to work on it. While driving, as yellowish butterfly flew in my window and out Art’s. We laughed so hard. The night was spent with ATC members, Gail and Doug, in  Motueka. Dinner is not expected to be shared with ATC people, but they invited us for a pizza dinner. I made a delicious salad for my dinner, and Art loved Gail’s home made pizza. They’re lovely people and we enjoyed our evening with them. We’re going back to stay with them for another night after our Farewell Spit trip in golden Bay.

Today’s the 8th. We went into Motueka to book the Abel Tasman trip for Thursday. While there, we did laundry at the Bubbles Laudrette – do you love the name? I do. While the laundry was in the washing machine, we walked around the town, following the Art in Public Places brochure. We saw most of them, but didn’t find all of them. I love the concept of artists making the benches and trash enclosures, as well as other sculptures. We had a lovely lunch at the café next to the museum. I had Kumara rosti with wilted spinach, beet salsa, and a salad. Art had vegetable fritters with poached eggs and roasted tomatoes. Both were very nice. Once the laundry was dry, Art went to fold it while I went to an internet café to check on email. Everything was fine and we were off to Shamhbala for the evening. Of course, we stopped several times along the way, once for about an hour for a supposedly 20 min turn around. It was at the Resurgence at Riwaka Valley River. It was a beautiful walk to see the crystal pool, where the water was so green, very deep, next to the dark blues of the rest of the river. Then, we climbed above the pool to look down into it. It’s a healing spot for the Maori. Great water energy! So, now I’m caught up, although I know there are lots of small wonderous incidents I have forgotten to include.

I didn’t mention it but we saw the Southern Cross for the first time while visiting with Cynthia and Graham. What a sky! This is the type of thing I’ve wanted to include throughout and am sure I’ve forgotten some. I’ll either remember or I won’t, and I hope to share them with you.

This journey has been miraculous and I know it will continue to be that way. I’m grateful every day to be able to be here enjoying all this beauty and time with Art.

No comments: