2 medium or 1 large onions, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil (can use ghee or other oil)
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or less depending on how hot you want it)
Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Pierce the eggplant all over and broil in oven, turning after the first 10 minutes. This can be cooked in a microwave (which I don't use) for 10 min on high OR it can be cooked on a grill.
- After the eggplant has cooked and cooled, remove the skin and mash the flesh with a fork.
- Heat the oil on medium and saute the onions till golden brown.
- Add the dry spices and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and cook uncovered on low heat for 5 minutes, until the entire dish has a nice brown color and the oil starts separating from the vegetable.
- Taste to adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.