Friday, May 31, 2013

Germany Part 4 + recipe

I've meant to describe our room. It is simplistic, yet comfortable. It has soft yellow walls and the beds are hospital type beds, where you can adjust the angle of the head area or the height. We have a couple of chairs with a small table between them in one corner. There is also an eating area which extends to a desk (narrower than the eating space). Lots of electrical outlets both near the eating/desk area and the bed area. This makes it easy to plug in a computer, iPad, and/or phone. We have a balcony, with two chairs and a table, and face the park area outside, so it's beautiful and peaceful; they have a lawn chess set and benches under some trees. In the far background on the left, you can see vineyards, which dot the countryside. Actually, with the camera in my phone, I think it's impossible to see the vineyards, so just imagine that they are there. There are two buildings and you're looking at the other one.



If any of you have a question, please don't hesitate to ask.

It's the 30th. I am having a needle put into my port today. Up til now, I've been having my arm stuck for the infusions ( they use a butterfly, so it's small), but since I am having two infusions today, it will be easier this way. We plan on just relaxing and not exploring today, as it's a holiday here. Also, as I have a treatment with an infusion this morning and an infusion this afternoon, relaxing seems to be a good idea. The sun was out mostly all morning, then it started to pour. Now, 2:00PM, the sun is out again. This sounds a lot like FL but for the temperature, in the 50s and 60s.

I finished the book I had started when we left. I'm NOT into zombies, but the book World War Z, was not really about zombies per se, but it was more about how the world handled this infection, which changed the world as we know it. It was well written, an editing of interviews of people from all over the globe, and a really good read, much to my surprise. I'm encouraging Art to read at least the first several pages to see if it catches his interest. It did mine. Maybe it will yours!

We ended up just resting as I thought we might. There was a minor snafu with my infusion of sodium bicarbonate. The nurse set me up and left. An hour or so later, I got up to use the bathroom and noticed that the drip wasn't dripping very much. We called the nurse and she fixed the drip. It was suppose to take about 2 hours and actually did take about 2 hours, so the drip must have been faster than usual. I don't believe that makes a difference.

This evening I started on my 4th BJP bracelet for the year, and the focal point of this one is an oval with real flowers under acrylic. Maybe I can finish this one before we return and then start on my 5th one when we get back. Remember, I'm suppose to be creating one a month for the year. Moving at my own pace.

That's it for today. More tomorrow.

May 31st
Very rainy and cool most of the day

7:35AM  vitals taken
10:00AM hyperthermia with Vit C Infusion
4:30PM Mistletoe shot
7:00PM Heparin shot

This is the Italian machine, and the next photo is with me during treatment; this was yesterday.


Today I was in the other room and used the German machine. 



I wanted you to see the difference in appearance. The do the same thing using a different method, as both use radio frequencies to heat.

The Klinik is in Bad Bergzabern, and we went there for dinner tonight at the Rossel Restaurant, Greek food. It was wonderful. The grilled octopus in a garlic sauce was so tender; it's been such a long time since I've had good octopus. Then, they served a tasty Greek salad, cheese on the side. Our main courses were, for Art, a liver with onions and mushrooms done to perfection (according to him, not my cup of tea), and for me a delicious lamb steak with eggplant in a tomato sauce. Really good. No recipe for either of those. However, the Lemon Chicken recipe below rivals either of the above for good taste.


Lemon Chicken

This another of my family's favorites. So easy! It's the moistest chicken I've ever had, as it's self-basting.

Ingredients:
1 chicken, 3 1/2-4 lbs
2 lemons
Salt
Pepper
2 toothpicks and 1 piece of string

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Clean the chicken well both inside and out. Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.
  3. Puncture both lemons with a fork in several places and place them inside the chicken.
  4. Close the cavity with the two toothpicks and tie the legs together to help keep the cavity closed.
  5. Salt and pepper the whole outside of the chicken, ending up with the chicken on its breast.
  6. Cook for about 20 minutes and then turn over the chicken.
  7. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear, a total of about 20 minutes per pound, including while the chicken was on its breast.
  8. Let it rest for 15 minutes and then cut it up. Discard the lemons.
YUM!!!

1 comment:

Sabine said...

Thank you for this new instalment, Susan.
Allow me, as a local, to add two little details:
The Palatinate wines are known for their good quality.
The holiday on 30th May was the catholic Fronleichnam. It only is a holiday in the predominantly catholic parts of Germany. In the Northern German provinces, for instance, this day goes almost unnoticed.