Friday, June 7, 2013

Germany Part 7 / Really Great News + Recipe

June 7
Today is discharge day. I had my vitals taken and an ultrasound early this morning, around 7:45-8AM. I truly can't wait to sleep a bit later than 6-6:15AM. I had my mistletoe shot before lunch. We met with Dr. Migeod after lunch.

Good report from the ultrasound. All the tumors recduced in size, again some more than others, but everything is moving in the right direction. He told us that the two largest tumors also have some necrosis, meaning they are breaking apart/dying from the inside out. Definitely GOOD NEWS!!! He gave me a list of what I needed to do until I return, about 3 months from now. In about a month, Dr. Migeod wants me to have a PET/CT scan so it can be compared to my last one in April. Very exciting! Can't wait to tell all my doctors about this treatment, although some of them already know.

For lunch, we had a friend join us. Moritz is a student of our Chi Gung teacher and we have known him for many years. He wanted to come visit and today was the day; he came for a few hours. He had to return to Darmstadt, as he has a Chi Gung/Tai Chi school and he needed to teach tonight. We're actually going to be staying with him and his wife later next week; it is wonderful, and so special, that he took the time to come see us!

It's bitter-sweet saying goodbye to all the staff here, who have been so wonderful and helpful to us. Of course, I'll get over the bitter-sweet part and really enjoy the touring about. We're off to Strasbourg again, but first a stop in Wissembourg at Art's favorite chocolatier and then to pick up some prescriptions that I'll need until we get home, where I can find them as well. Why does chocolate have to have sugar in it? Actually, I order from http://www.UliMana.com some raw organic truffles made with coconut syrup; they have two types with coconut syrup and the rest are made with agave. They are really nice when you're not eating any chocolate; they use raw cacao. They are really nice even if you are eating chocolate!

Our trip into Wissembourg to get the prescriptions filled was an odyssey. They had only one of the three meds and would have had to order one of the other ones, with the third not available in France. They told me that it's an English medication and isn't sold anywhere in France. Everything takes longer than it takes, and nothing is ever easy. In spite of all that, I am fixed with my meds until Tuesday; we'll get back to Germany on Monday, and I hope to be able to order the two I don't have many of.

We booked a small hotel. It's pretty and the rooms are small but comfortable, and it's only for one night. However, I didn't check if they had an elevator, and they don't. Art was not pleased. I am quite tired tonight, and not having an elevator doesn't help with energy management. There is a restaurant only a few blocks away, so we had dinner there, and it was very good. Again, 5th in a row, we had a beautiful day, so we ate outside on their patio. We were among the first to arrive close to 7:00PM, but it quickly filled up. Wouldn't mind having one of those in our neighborhood!

I mention SERVAS below in the notes right after the title of the recipe. I'll write about USServas.org in my next Blog.


Creamy Apple Treat

We were in Berne, Switzerland, with a Servas host, Beat Edelmann, having a wonderful time. I was cooking dinner that night and wanted a light easy dessert, and I had to use what I had with me or what Beat had in his kitchen. This was the result and we all enjoyed it.

Serves 4 (We were only 3 and we finished it.)

Ingredients:

8 ounces plain Goat’s milk yogurt (It is very thick and creamy here in Switzerland)

To taste (what I used/ you can play around with flavors):
Cinnamon (1 tablespoon)
Nutmeg (a couple of dashes)
stevia (less than one packet)
agave (1 tablespoon) or 1 tablespoon coconut syrup
1 apple, cored and diced (I left the skin on but you could skin it)
10 almonds, chopped

Directions:

1.  Put the yogurt into a medium bowl and stir until smooth
2.  Added the spices and sweeteners and mix well. Taste and adjust.
3.  Add the apple and almonds. Stir well.
4.  Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top for decoration.
5.   Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments: