Thursday, June 27, 2013

My 4th BJP Creation + Recipe

This is only the 4th one I've created this year, so I'm a bit behind but still beading. I love flowers, so at least once a year, my Bead Journal Project is all about flowers, usually the May piece, but not this year.

I used a cabochon of real flowers under acrylic, not home made, as the focal point. Each month, I'm using a different material for the focal point. I also love color, so I'm playing with color combinations as well. Purple and green is one of my favorite combinations, and although I've used the same colors before, they look so different in each piece.


My favorite bead to use is the pearl and I use them on all my pieces. In addition to pearls, I've used Swarovski crystals, glass beads, and a plastic button for the clasp.

I'm really enjoying this challenge, even though it is taking me a long time to finish each, as I don't always feel like beading, nor do I always have the energy to do so. However, since my trip to Germany for hyperthermia and no more chemo, I find my energy is returning. Maybe I'll even catch up to make it one piece a month.

Since I am writing a cookbook for cancer survivors and folks with celiac's disease, so the book will be gluten-free, I always like to add a recipe to my blogs. If you don't cook, go no further.

Tasty Roasted Yams
I love cinnamon. However, making mashed yams is a lot of work. This is much easier and just as delicious. It is a lot of "by taste," so don't use too much nutmeg or cardamon.

Ingredients:

1-2 large yams, diced into inch pieces
2 tablespoons Coconut oil
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Cardamon

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Place yams in a plastic bag.
  3. Pour in oil and sprinkle with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamon.
  4. Close the bag and massage the yams until they are covered with all the ingredients.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, and then stir. 
  6. Cook for another 10 minutes and check for softness. They are done when they are soft enough for your taste.
Enjoy!





3 comments:

Sabine said...

This is a very lovely piece, Susan, and the button exactly right for it. Very well done!

Cyndi L said...

I love the mix of colors! I feel like you got bolder in your combinations this time, and I love how super-embellished your piece is. I'm also really happy to hear that you feel your treatment was successful...I truly hope the scans show this to be the case :-)

Diane Lithgow said...

Susan I love your recipes and since meeting you I am trying to have more gluten free meals in my life.
I still love your beading and i am not far behind you in the beading stakes this year.
Diane,
New Zealand