Monday, January 18, 2010

The Beginning

Okay. Here goes... I guess I need to start somewhere, but Im just not sure where that is. Food. I seem to be all about food. At least, that's what I'm told by my very good friends. It seems that no matter what else I do, and I do a lot, plus I'm writing a cook book, food always seems to be part of it.

We're (my husband, Art, and I) getting packed for a seven week trip and we leave tomorrow morning. All my stuff is out but not yet packed. So, maybe I should leave this for a bit later when I'm really ready to go.....

Part of my packing is also about food. I'm a cancer survivor, which I'll be blogging about too, so I follow certain parameters with my diet. Traveling is sometimes a challenge if you're watching what you eat. I'm taking certain items with me that may be difficult to find in New Zealand, or at least they will start me off down there, until I find my way around, such as cereals (I'm gluten-free), so I'm taking Puffed Millet and Quinoa Flakes, one cold and one hot, both very tasty and found at Whole Foods, a health food store. Also for breakfast I have a couple of different raw granola mixtures - although I don't usually eat dried fruit, which is in both, as dried fruit's natural sugar is more concentrated (I'm sugar-free, using only Stevia and Agave). I have crackers I really like, made of millet, brown rice, and flax seeds (www.samisbakery.com), and then several other items that need to be packed.

Resources will be shared here and in my cookbook. I'm toying with two different titles, and I may end up with something completely different once I've completed it. Here's what I'm thinking about:
A Wellness Journey Cookbook:One Cancer Survivor’s recipe for eating and being well with the spice of life
or
The Spice of Life Wellness Journey Cookbook

This cookbook will be for cancer survivors and people with Celiacs Disease who can't eat gluten. Of course it'll be healthy for anyone who wishes to use it, as each item will be delicious, so you don't have to be on a diet, or you can be on one like Art is, the See Food Diet, if he sees it he eats it, in order to use the book.

I design jewelry and do bead embroidery; here's a link to my website, Mermaid's Jewelz

Got to go for now. Have to make dinner and finish packing. I'm open to all comments.

Susan

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I like The Spice of Life Cookbook, My Wellness Journey

Keep the blogging going. I look forward to eating my way through New Zealand with you guys. Make my mouth water with your journey and find lots of fabulous recipes and tasty morsels!

Karen L. Cohen said...

Hey, I agree with Denise's twist on the name - I actually had come up with the same thing so great minds think alike!

I'm excited about you starting to blog. And I love how you set your page up. I'll be looking forward to your NZ entries, but I hope I get some private emails too, after all, I'm your sister!

Have a great trip and good wishes on your new blog. Love, Karen

Micheline said...

dear Susan
I am so happy that you started a blog! The beginning is good and will get even better as times goes by. I wish you the best of time on your trip and let us hear from you.

Unknown said...

susan............glad you have a blog......now we can keep in touch.........imagine that......now that you are in New Zealand.......cannot go much farther..you are my neck of the woods......you will love it............enjoy the mostest..........love, eva

Donna said...

What a great idea. I'll jump on board and join you for your trip! What a lovely idea for you and Art to travel again. I'll aso vote on "The Spice of Life Wellness Journey Cookbook" if it's up for the vote. Always interested in spice in anyones' life. Have a fun and safe journey. I'll be watching. Love, Donna

Micheline said...

Hello Susan
It was great to hear your news as you just started your trip. Tell us more as you go! I love you, Micheline