Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Traveling

Our first day of travel, Miami to Los Angeles, was a relatively easy one. Early morning pick up so we arrived at the airport before 9:30AM, not bad traffic. Our taxi driver was from Haiti, luckily from Gonieves, so he didn't have family in Port-Au-Prince and hadn't lost anyone close to him in the recent earthquake. We're still waiting to hear from our supplier down there about how he and his family are; no news and the waiting is painful.

Going through security at an airport is always a treat. I made a delicious salad for my lunch and brought salad dressing, Organicville's Tarragon Mustard yummy, with me. However, in this case, I forgot about the no large amounts of liquid with security. I offered to just pour a bit on my salad and throw out the rest, but they wouldn't let me - this isn't a cafeteria, I was told. They wanted us to put our shoes back on, go all the way around, back out of security, pour whatever I wanted, and then come back through. I decided to forgo my dressing, as I had also brought a lemon and would use the lemon juice on the salad. Oh well. Somehow, it's gotten turned around and it's politically incorrect to target someone who looks like a terrorist, but salad dressing, where I was going to put it on my salad and eat it, is a threat.

I know it's not true for everyone, but, for me, food and eating are among the great pleasures in life. Having had cancer has opened up a whole new world in learning about different foods and trying out new recipes, or tweaking the ingredients in ann old one to suit what I'm choosing to eat. It's all a choice - no one had told me I couldn't eat such and such, although recommendations have been made about what inhibits the growth of cancer cells and how to have a more alkaline body. I get choose what I want to do for myself! It's important to realize this and KNOW that it is a choice. It makes it easier to not eat chocolate, because if I choose to have a piece, I will, but I usually choose not to, due to the caffeine and sugar contents.

One the first things we did after dropping our luggage off at Brian's home was go to Whole Foods to pick up some alkaline water. At home, I have a filtering machine which separates the alkaline from the acid water; it's the Jupiter brand and works really well. While at Whole Foods, since it was dinner time, and Grace wasn't suppose to be home until close to 8PM, we had dinner there. I discovered raw falafel - delicious. Too bad there wasn't a soup there I chose to eat, due to cream, sugar, or something else I'm not having. It's really cool here, 55 degrees when we landed and rainy, so something hot would have hit the spot. However, the falafel and salads were good too. We finished our shopping and went home to find Grace got there earlier than expect. Great to see her too.

I'm finishing this Wednesday morning, as I was too tired last night. Off to have breakfast.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just a reminder that a blog is public information, so everything, every detail and names you write is exposed to the world. Some people may want their names changed to protect their privacy. Just a thought. What is the healthy substitute for chocolate? Is there anything that can substitute this food of the gods???